Kikizo interviews Peter Molyneux in a 30 minute video about his then-upcoming projects The Movies, Black and White 2 and the top secret project Dimitri. Also has discussions on censorship, the next generation of consoles, development and complex/simple games. The interview was filmed in August 2004.
Thank you to Kikizo for the source. The original Kikizo page for this interview is located here: http://games.kikizo.com/features/petermolyneux_vidint.asp
Kikizo noted down the questions on their site, reproduced here for reference:
BACK TO FABLE
- Which Lionhead projects he is most closely involved with at the moment and how the schedule will develop
- The people working on Black and White 2 and The Movies - what they bring to the project.
- Black and White 2 - "It's going to be absolutely awesome" - why? What's it all about?
- A lot of new mechanics and the use of physics in B&W2 - explain.
- The Movies - the concept and the system behind it.
- The AI systems in The Movies - Lionhead's best AI yet?
- The Movies "breaks out of the bounds of a normal game" - why?
- Peter says something significant is going to happen to AI... what, why?
- Sexual content in Fable - how, why? Discuss!
- Why has it taken the industry taken so long to put sexual content in games?
- Censorship in Fable - infamously - what are the implications on the original vision?
- Why censorship will become a REAL issue to games...
- "There will be some game or system that'll be very controversial in the next couple of years..."
- At long last - Peter talks about Dimitri for the first time! "If I told you more, you just wouldn't believe me."
- The stage Dimitri is at and how big is the project? How does Lionhead perceive the project?
- Next generation - what has Peter's initial impressions taught him?
- "We have to stop games taking four years."
- XNA and why Peter hopes it works.
- How will the Xenon/PS3/N-Rev thing play out? What is next gen's potential?
- The death rate of the games development scene - issues - discuss.
- Re: Developers - have you considered satellite scheme like Karl Jeffrey & Climax?
- "The Pitch" - How do you convince publishers your games will sell?
- "You just can't design in the blue sky."
- "There are not enough people with enough confidence to invest in £20m projects..."
- "That's the day we start making crap to be honest with you." - what day's that?!
- Do you agree with Satoru Iwata's stance that games are too complicated? Fable's pretty complicated!
- "People don't want to feel like they're learning..."
- Are you ever tempted to make really simple games?
- Exclusive - Peter would love to make a soccer game! Why?
- Rag Doll Kung Fu - what the hey?
- Wario Ware - "My mouth dropped open"
- "There's been very little to make me excited..."
- Peter discusses Half-Life 2, Doom 3 - the PC's potential...